Friday, August 25, 2006

Getting ready for Vertical



Last night was our volunteer meeting for the upcoming kickoff of Vertical (starts September 7th). Vertical is our weekly program for students in grades 6-12. It is the core of our youth ministry, and we haven't met since the end of the school year, so we're getting pumped up for this fall. We had some new faces in our meeting last night which was very cool. Most cool of all, it lent Brian the opportunity to give them a little bit of Vertical history, which for me was a walk down memory lane.

I remember when we started Vertical. To be honest, I can't really remember what we did at first. I do remember that it was originally called Vertical Reality, and on a good night, we had about 50 kids. The majority of them were in 6th-8th grade. We tried splitting Jr and Sr high (numerous times), but believe it or not, we didn't have enough Sr high kids so we had to keep them together. Vertical Reality or "VR" as we called it at the time was pretty much a hangout time with a "band" (I use the term lightly because even though it is much of the same talent we have in our current band, they have upped the ante so much since then, I don't think its right to use the same word for what they were then, and what they are now) and a short message. Same shell, but a totally different VR.

Not to mention that at that point it was on Sunday nights. After much thought I have concluded that this was the stupidest thing we ever did. No offense to Brian or anyone else who made the decision, I supported it at the time too. But we all hated it. No one wants to get revved up again at 4 pm on a Sunday for youth group. No one I know at least. Thank God my husband is a smart and teachable man. Even though we were all kind of afraid to have it on a week night (what if no one came?), he realized it just wasn't working on Sunday nights and we switched to weeknights sometime last year. Very good move. Us leaders had more energy and even though the kids are all involved in like 13 extracurricular activities, it worked for them too.

Aside from VR, our ministry was defined by sporadic small groups which were awesome in some ways and just not hitting the mark in others. Awesome leaders like Rich Straight and Emily Aierstock (I know I'm leaving people out...forgive me!) took time out of their weeks on top of VR and did life together with a group of students. Aside: I truly believe that efforts like this have contributed to what has now been knit into a strong foundation...a lot of the kids in those jr high groups are very well positioned to be student leaders in this and coming years.

Anyways, aside from all that, there were exhausting overnighters, 30 hour famines, gallactic bowling and the like. You know, youth group stuff.

I remember a point last year when Brian and Jeremy pretty much talked exclusively about Vertical. They got so pumped up and one Thursday night (maybe it was a Tuesday?), we were walking out and they stayed in the parking lot talking for what may well have been multiple hours. The next week, kids walked into a completely different Vertical. It was deliberate, it was exciting, it was a place they could belong, it was dynamic. And kids started to bring their friends.

By the end of last year, we had about 150 kids on a given Thursday night, many of whom showed up as soon as we leaders did, and didn't leave until we kicked them out; many of whom were so upset we were closing up shop for the summer. Since then, Brian's taken two small groups of kids to camp. He brought about 20 kids total and brought home 20 leaders. These kids are finally, finally getting it. They are taking ownership, they are spreading the word, and they are excited about THEIR Vertical. And we (leaders) are excited because we can feel what's stirring below the surface. This year is going to be huge. This student ministry is going to have a huge impact on local students.

Last night I was thinking about a lot of lessons learned over these last 3 years:

1. Trial and Error. Everything you just read about has directly contributed to the position we're in now. At the time, I thought we would never "get it right," whatever "right" is when it comes to working with teenagers. But now as I look back, 3 years really doesn't seem that long. It was so necessary that we do the trial and error thing for a while. Now we have a better idea of what works and what these kids want and need. Even the "successes" we experienced at the end of last year had some lessons learned embedded within them, and we will be implementing changes in response.

2. Your youth ministry is only as good as your volunteers. Seriously, we have had tons of awesome volunteers over the years. Sometimes you have to motivate them and pull them along. More often, they will motivate you. They do youth ministry because they genuinely want to. They'll spend days at a time with these kids. They'll lose sleep and fast and make phone calls during the week to kids who just want to hear someone's voice on the other end. They are the heartbeat of your ministry. We have an incredible group of volunteers as we enter this fall and I'm excited to see what they'll do.

3. The most important thing I have learned in the last 3 years is that I'm not really that cool. Let me explain. When we started hanging out with teenagers, I thought I would be at a clear advantage because, you know, I'm young and I'm cool. I can dress like them and talk like them and listen to the same music as them. And that is how you connect with teenagers right? Not really at all. And that is good because, as it turns out. I'm not cool. I look stupid when I wear their clothes and I don't really like all of their music, nor do I want to continue to act like I did 10 years ago, when I was a sophomore in high school. (So painful to realize it has been 10 years)

Yesterday morning, Brian met with a group of our students and asked them what criteria we should have for leaders. In other words, "what kind of adult leaders do you want as your volunteers, your small group leaders?" Believe it or not, they didn't care how cool we were, or what we looked like or how much money we made or what music we listened too. They said, "Just someone who cares."

In the last 3 years I have learned that all of the time, sweat, and frustration that goes into this thing is necessary so that we have the platform that allows us to offer a phone call, a smile, a pat on the back or a hug, or even a stinkin e-mail to a student who isn't really sure how many people they matter to. In order for us to teach them that they actually matter (quite a lot) to God, I have to prove through weekly meetings, 30 hour famines, all nighters, loud concerts and flour fights that they matter enough to me to do this every week.

And although I've questioned it myself at times, they absolutely do matter...more than enough.

I have done a lot of different stuff through churches and organizations over the years. Music stuff, guest relations stuff, women's ministry, print material, etc. Youth ministry is by far the most frustrating, the most challenging, the most laborious and the most time consuming (not to mention probably the scariest thing at times). But it is by far the most rewarding thing I could ever invest in. Bring on the Fall.

1 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ever get to where you can't get excited about something until it's over?
Once the first Vertical is over, then I'll be excited about Vertical. Until then, there's no time for frivolous things like emotion!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home